Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Project: Part VIII

They're coming to get to Baaahhhbra...Braaaains....

Yes. The brains of my new toy. An AMD (my first by the way) Phenom II Quad-Core 6MB L3 Cache AM3 processor.



This beauty came in a box that...maybe it was how excited I was...had a nice, roughish texture to it. I carefully opened the package and pulled, ever-so-lovingly, its small yet powerful contents.

The heatsink and fan were assembled already, no worries...and there it was. Sitting on a bed of greyish-black foam (do I use too many "-"'s?) was my gift...I flashed back to my Commodore 64 and thought about it's processing power and wondered at how far we have come. I then realized I never took a picture of the motherboard with nothing in it...so we'll skip that part and pretend it never happened.

Moving on, I had purchased some thermal compound, picture included for my non-existant readers:



But I didn't need it. There was compound already applied on the bottom of the heatsink and once I secured the processor into it's slot (it's very easy...it won't go in unless you have it the correct way - completely fool proof).

So onto the board the units went.



Happy, I was. No zombies crashed through my window and I placed the parts aside to continue, and survive, another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment