Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Stumbled Upon A Really Neat Trick


So a user was upgraded to a new laptop today.

As part of her migration process I had gotten everything over to her new computer except I had forgotten her mapped network drives.

Not really a problem.

I sneakernet back to my repair lab and fire up her old laptop. I drag and drop her mapped drives onto the USB stick thinking I would simply use the letters and names to recreate them on her new computer.

However...that last step wasn't needed.

Oh, you think I just dragged and dropped them? No.

With the USB stick in, simply right click on each mapped drive and select properties. Then take a look at the "My Computer" window. Those drive are mapped automatically. Really...that easy.

I love finding things by mistake!

No comments:

Post a Comment