Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Project: Part I

This project is motivated by the exorbitant amount of money Comcast charges for television.

At best, my wife and I watch 7-10 hours of television a week. Hardly worth the nearly $200.00/month bill we receive for phone, internet and cable.

I've been given to the go-ahead (wife's approval) to go ahead and give this a shot. The machine I'm going to be using to use as the media center television is:

  • Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack
  • 2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
  • Intel Corporation D945GBI AAC99325-202 motherboard
  • 4GB of RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
  • Soundblaster Audigy

This machine has served me very, very well for a long time. I've modded the case with a nice big window on the side and have taken loving care of it. I hope that in it's new endeavor, it serves me just as well as it has in the past.

Now, the new machine I'll be building to take it's place will be built with some nice, new components. But to keep it interesting, I'll only link to those pieces of hardware I've already purchased.



That's what I've purchased so far. I know what CPU I will be buying and I know what ram I'll be buying...but you'll have to stay tuned to see what they are as I purchase them.

No comments:

Post a Comment